Monday, March 21, 2011

Review: Outside In by Maria V. Snyder

**Small spoilers for book one**

Trella and the Force of Sheep have overthrown the Travas and disbanded the Pop Cops. Insiders now know that they're on a spacecraft travelling through space, on their way to some unknown destination. But they still don't know why, or where, and they're still plagued by the division between Uppers and Lowers. Trella does see herself as a leader but when Outsiders threaten the lives of everyone Inside, she must decide if it's time to step up to the plate. And most importantly, who to trust.

Such a twisty turny book! The plot does get confusing in places and I was mixing up Hank, Jacy, Sloan and Bubba Boom for a while there as characters kept changing their "good guy" hats to "bad guy" hats. There are lots of double-crosses to look out for. I didn't tie myself in knots going back and forth in the narrative and managed to muddle my way through it, mostly because I was just enjoying the ride so much. There's a lot going on in this book and it's all very entertaining. Action-packed and dialogue heavy, it was just the sort of thing to shake me out of my reading slump. Also, there's a bit of raunch. *Fans self* I'm rather fond of Riley, AKA Mr Love Interest, and there's a bit of hanky-panky in places. Nicely done too.

I was pleased to discover the Australian covers of Inside Out and Outside In while I was reading this book (gorgeous; shown above) and that Snyder is way popular downunder, and is coming downunder in August! In less sparkly news, though, Tez tells me there are no plans for a third book as yet because sales haven't been as promising as they'd expected. Sad face. Looks like it's up to Aussies to lift flagging sales and make another worthwhile! The frustrating thing is that there is SO MUCH scope for this series to continue on and on. Trella et al. are a LONG way from their destination. So long that unless they stumble into a wormhole, they themselves will never see it. If I don't find out what the major series climax is, I'll be rather miserable.

3 comments:

  1. I would like to read more set in this world, but having said that, these two books together felt finished, if you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished Inside Out and really loved it! I can't wait to read Outside In, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another book! (Go, Aussies, go!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marg--Yes, in a character sense it definitely did. But I really wanted to know where they were going and why.

    Donna--I should buy them again in the Aussie versions just to help out sales!

    ReplyDelete