Saturday, May 8, 2010

Audio review: Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett

Thirteen-year-old trainee witch Tiffany Aching is swept up by the Dark Morris, the dance that marks the seasons' transition from summer into winter, and now the Wintersmith has fallen in love with her. If she doesn't manage to dissuade her paramour, never-ending winter will befall the land. Wintersmith features some favourite Discworld characters including Granny Weatherwax and the inimitable Death.

I adored Terry Pratchett's YA-ish Soul Music featuring Susan, Death's granddaughter. I was browsing the audio books at my library for something fun to listen to while I cleaned out my closet (an incredibly dull undertaking, and I still didn't find my purple jumper or the red one with kitties on it. Grr.) Pratchett can really write a teenage girl, and a god falling in love with a mortal is always a fascinating storyline, so I thought I'd give Wintersmith a go. Plus, witches!

Wintersmith is so much fun. Pratchett's brand of humour is often absurd and always witty. But while Pratchett's main intent is to divert and amuse, Tiffany Aching's trials and tribulations are entertaining in their own right. Being a young witch who has attracted a god's attention is a great deal for a thirteen-year-old girl to handle. Tiffany is understandably flattered and frustrated by the attention.

Wintersmith is read by Stephen Briggs, who has narrated many Pratchett audio books. He is excellent at giving each character their own distinct voice. I definitely recommend this audio book for any closet-clearing activities that you attempt in the near future. It's thoroughly diverting.

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, Terry Pratchett is brilliant, isn't he? Love his books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently listened to all three Tiffany Aching books and loved them very much. Briggs is marvelous. He also narrated Nation, which I listened to before the Tiffany books. Nation was brilliant.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone praises Terry Pratchett and Discworld, and I had never read any of them, so I looked into a few and thought they sounded like something I could potentially love (I really want Wee Free Men), so I thought, I should start reading these.
    Then I saw there were about a million books.
    I hear that they are not so closely connected and dependent on each other that I'd have to read them in order, but still. Big commitment.
    Think it's one I'll make, though. They just sound to good to pass up.

    ReplyDelete