Thursday, September 17, 2009

(Slightly belated) BBAW Interview Swap!

Tammy runs Mug of Moxie, a new YA and children's book blog. She works as a librarian at a small town library. Her main job is with children and outreach programs where she goes into schools, preschools and daycares to read and talk about books. And she loves her job! She discovered a passion for YA while trying to figure out what books she should be getting for teens. She loves the stories, characters and authors.

1. What's the best thing about being a librarian/running outreach programs?

Visiting the preschools, daycares and class rooms is my favorte part of the job. I love that they are excited to see me and can't wait to see what story I'll read to them.

2. If I gave you a number in the dewey decimal system, say, 910, could you tell me which books could be found there without looking it up? I'm going to guess on this one ... autobiographies?? Or maybe travel ... uugggg I don't think I'm getting a raise anytime soon! (RH: Geography, so travel is very close!)

3. Which book would you like to see made into a film?
First one would be Spud by John van de Ruit and of course The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

4. Have you ever tried to write a book?
No, I'm definitely a reader not a writer.

5. What's your favourite genre of YA?
I love honesty and comedy combined. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie, Spud by John van de Ruit, and Looking for Alaska by John Green are books that make you laugh out loud and pull at your heart strings.

6. Are there any children's books that you feel are unsuitable for children? Any there any controversial titles in your library?
I try to avoid irrate parents by previewing the books that come in and making sure they go to the appropriate age group. We are pretty conservative in our library and have the series and Twilight and The Traveling Pants series in Adult Section. Probably the heaviest book I've recently read was the Perks of Being a Wallflower. It just made me sad.

7. What do you think will be the next big thing in children's books?
I love Diary of a Wimpy Kid that combines a cartoon and story, it engages reluctant readers. I would love to see more of those books.

8. Do you have kids of your own that you read to? What do they like? If not, what were you reading as a child?
I have a first grader so we read Junie B. Jones at this moment and we are huge Skippy Jon Jones fans. My teenage son has become a non reader which is shocking and disturbing. Hopefully it's just a stage so I don't have to disown him and cut him out of the will! (RH: Oh no! My worst fear!)

9. When I was in high school, Flowers in the Attic was passed around surreptitiously. What was the book you and your friends sneakily read?
Our guilty pleasure was books by Jackie Collins! Rock Star and Lucky were full of outrageous characters and loads of sex!

10. Are there any Australian books that are popular at your library? (I'm an Aussie and can't help asking!)
A very popular series right now is The Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan, and of course Mem Fox who wrote Koala Lou and Boo to a Goose.

11. I have to ask this one! What sort of apocalypse do you think is the most likely to happen: an asteroid crashing into the moon, playing havoc with the weather (Life As We Knew It, Susan Beth Pfeffer), a virus taking out all the grass (The Death of Grass, John Christopher) or a zombie plague (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, Carrie Ryan)?
I think a zombie plague would be pretty exciting. One of my favorite movies is Shaun of the Dead. I picture myself being calm, cool and collected. I plan to hole up in a pub and take out many zombies! I also was inspired by your web site I added World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide to my TBR pile. This insures that I have prepared even more for the end. (RH: Hell yeah! Pass me the vodka tonic and a shotgun and lets kick some ass.)

12. Which paranormal creature has your heart? I'm feeling rather partial to mermaids right now myself!
I live in the Rockie mountains so I always keep an eye out for Big Foot, I know he's out there somewhere and I'm determined to get a decent picture of him!

~~
It's been a pleasure to have you Tammy! Tammy's thoughtful reviews can be found at Mug of Moxie.

Happy BBAW everyone, and congratulations to all the award winners.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic interview! I read Koala Lou to my pre-k students you will be happy to know. :)

    I agree with Tammy on Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Anything that gets reluctant readers engaged in books!

    If the world comes to a zombie plague, I am finding one of you to fight with!

    ReplyDelete