Sunday, May 10, 2009

Take me to the April sun in Cuba, whoa-oa-oa!

So it's not April, and it's not Cuba, but hell, it's a great song! Tomorrow I am off to Vanuatu for a week with the lovely BF, which means many things: poolside cocktails, white sandy beaches ... and most importantly, plenty of time to read the books I have been saving especially for this trip! Ah, sweet anticipation. (But first I need to get to the airport at 4 am, bluuuuurgh.)

The books are:

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. This is my Most Anticipated. As soon as I get on that plane, it's this book I'll be burying my head in! Notice the cover? It's not the lovely moody shot of the girl that I've been seeing on US blogs, but black and red with a spot-varnish on the leaf (spot varnishing is so hot right now--trust me, I'm in publishing). There are two reasons for this: it references the Twilight saga cover colour-scheme, which plenty of books are doing right now, and and it's being marketed at adults as well as teenagers, which would seem to justify the $30 price tag--yowtch! Teen paperbacks are supposed to be no more than $20! I guess having a teenage girl on the cover isn't going to work for an adult audience.

Next we have City of Bones. I've heard wonderful things about this series, and from a quick peek at the first page I can tell you I like what I see!

I've also got copies of Touch the Dark by Karen Chance, Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson (non-fiction and total word-nerdiness) and The Revenge of Gaia by James Lovelock (more non-fiction, for my monthly book club).

I have a few books to read for print reviews as well: Gladiatrix by Rhonda Roberts, Monsters in the Sand by David Harris and Destination Abudai by Prue Mason, all due in June so I'm going to be a busy girl!

The laptop is staying at home. I'm having a No Computers week. Can't freaking wait! Various posts are scheduled throughout the week.

A big shout-out to my very first follower, Steph from Hey Teenager of the Year! She's a fellow writer and blogger, and an Aussie too. I have that Lo-Tel EP lying aound somewhere ... I think it came with "A Pop Song Saved My Life"! Ah, good times :)

No comments:

Post a Comment