Thursday, May 21, 2009

La Isla Bonita

Photo time! Just looking at these I can feel the warm breezes, the prickly volcanic rock and dead coral beaches...ahh...

My signature Self Portrait of Feet and Landscape. We spent most of our time in and around Port Vila, Efate and the surrounding small islands. This was taken on Lelepa, just after a bout of snorkeling. The reefs there are amazing! I've never seen so many fish. (Survivor Vanuatu was filmed a short distance away. I tried to look impressed but I never watched the show.)



This was our resort, Mangoes, and it was heaven. Child-free, small, amazing food and lovely staff. Private bungalows instead of hotel rooms. I felt like Lady Muck herself!


The resort cat. Never did find out her name but she was a real sweetie and fell asleep in my arms more than once.


How Blue Lagoon is this? This is at the Mele-Maat Cascades, about 20 minutes out of town. We walked upstream to the falls themselves...

...and they were epic! That's the lovely BF having a dip. Above and to the left are the falls themselves, about 35 metres of them!


This is me, on a boat, pre-diving. I've never been scuba diving before, so note the terrified glint in my eye. Restricted movement, breathing apparatus, no talking??! Ach! But it was one of the most amazing things I've ever done, and definitely the highlight of the trip. It was like being in a big blue room at peak hour: there were fish EVERYWHERE! We saw a moray eel (and I got so distracted gazing at it that I drifted into some coral, got my breathing tube stuck, scraped my hand and broke a few pieces off some beautiful purple coral in my panic to get free. Not cool. Bad diving etiquette to break coral.) and the drop-off (scary black abyss, couldn't get me close if you tried, I saw Finding Nemo!) ... and then we found Nemo!! He was with his dad in that special stinging anemone, hanging out, being adorable. And then we had to surface because we were running out of air. We spent the rest of the night in a post-adrenalin haze, vowing to get our diving license. And we well, perhaps in Cairns or back in Vanuatu next year. Because, oh yes, we'll be going back.

So those are my holiday snippets! Anyone else had a lovely time somewhere recently, or plans to soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment